Israelites Finding Their Sacred:

I found the history of the Israelites to be particularly intriguing, because their journey to the Promised Land was characterized by the liberation of the Jews under Yahweh-bringing Israel from a state of chaos to one of peace and one divinely established (Armstrong 31). The significance of places such as the Dome of the Rock and the Jewish Temple, are revealed through a series of historical stories. One view I found quite interesting from Armstrong's second chapter, was of Israelites as Canaanites, having migrated from Canaanite towns that had disintegrated and creating the "nucleus of Israel" (Armstrong 24). I think I enjoyed this metaphor, because I often find myself thinking from a very scientific perspective- as I am a Neuroscience major. 

            Viewed as outsiders, Israelites were coined hapiru,a class in Canaanite society. They were often perceived as a disruptive force (Armstrong 24). I found this to be disheartening despite its almost inevitability, because such a sacred place became shared by so many people of several different religious groups and from various ethnic backgrounds. The essential sacredness of humanity portrayed in the story of Abraham’s preparation to sacrifice Isaac, has long been preserved. For example, the Jewish Temple is thought to have been built at the very place of the sacrifice, and Muslim Dome of the Rock built to commemorate the same historical and religious event. While these places are clearly sacred, I liked how Armstrong encouraged the idea that the sacred does not manifest itself only in holy places, as I have mentioned. That the divine can be encountered in other human beings is discovered is portrayed through the story of Abraham and the three travelers and represents an “early manifestation” of viewing God as Trinity (Armstrong 28). I thought this could be easily related to, personally, as I feel as though I have encountered sanctity in or through others more so than in holy places-such as a church. 

(Photo is of the Dome of the Rock from islamiclandmarks.com)

Comments